An Explainer Video is a short animated video that focuses on explaining the product or service of the business. Explainer videos address the specific pain point(s) your business is solving and present them in an engaging manner. So next time you visit your customers for a 1-2-1 meeting, send them your explainer video so that they have an idea about your solution as it’s more effective than a sales pitch.
Explainer videos have the power to tell an impressive story about your product, service, mobile app or business in 60 seconds or more. But for explainer videos to be effective apart from having amazing animation, visually appealing graphics, awesome characters and soothing voiceover, back it by a solid script. A great animated video needs a killer, well-written, well researched and engaging script. So here’s how you can make a killer script for your explainer video.
7 tips on How to Write a World-Class Explainer Video Script
1: Keep It Short
Your script should be short, ideally 60 seconds or lesser. This will help you keep your viewers engaged. But, if need be, it can go up to 120 seconds or more. Write down all the core points of the product or service and then take the most important of them in the script.
Follow this: Always follow the ‘so-what’ approach to present your solution. Example: if you want to say that your offering saves my time then counter it with ‘so-what’. You will now get an emotional benefit to convey to your users that when I save time, I can use it in my hobby or doing something new. This is an instant attraction for the reader.
This beautiful 26-second video aptly describes a person.
2: Use the universal trio of – What, How and Why
Usually, every video out there is set to solve a problem. ‘What’ is that problem? Define this outright in your script. Once you establish the problem statement, tell the users ‘how’ your product or service is solving that problem. Finally, tell the users ‘why’ they should prefer your proposed solution over others.
Follow this: A world-class script follows the 20/80 rule. It means that they talk about the problem in less than 20% of the time and focus on the solution and the need for the product in the remaining 80% of the time.
This 1-minute video is a perfect example of 20/80 rule and ‘what, how and why’ of the solution.
3: Getting Personal
Rather than blunt marketing, you should narrate your story like a person and get personal so that the users can connect to your brand. Ask your users if they are looking for a particular solution to their problems and tell them about your solution.
Check this 1-minute video about how to ask your users about their problems and then presenting your solution.
4: Telling a Story
In your marketing video if you do blunt marketing then the response will be poor. Rather, if you tell a story by pinpointing their problems or stating some facts and asking the question then the user will connect, as he will be keen to find the solution. This is an old marketing gimmick that many companies leverage. Telling a problem and how due to this problem user’s life is being affected, then showing a ray of hope that you have a solution and at last introducing your product or service and explaining that how can it solve user’s problems and make their lives better.
5: Focus less on the founders or the company itself and more on the solution
Too often scriptwriters get swayed that they forget the solution and brag about the founders or the company. Your script should focus on why does the product exist and how it can make your viewers’ life better.
Pro Tip: Get your script verified by your colleagues, friends or seniors to make sure that it works and can add value to the company you are making video for.
6: Call-To-Action is Must
One rule that you must never forget is ending your video with a CTA (Call to Action). Triggering your users to take an action after they have watched your video is where you can look for getting business. Your CTA can be Like, Share, Subscribe to your page, handle or channel. It can be placing orders or store visits, visiting your website or calling you. CTA should be direct so that you can convert your user to a customer.
7: Sell What You Tell and Tell What You Sell